Credits from a previous college or a two-year transferable degree can help students finish faster and at a lower cost.

Starting college again with some credits means you have unique choices and opportunities compared to first-time adult learners. Some questions to consider:

  • Will you continue in the same educational program you started? Do you want to change to a different educational program? Or are you a Career Explorer, uncertain of what career or program you want?

  • Do you want to return to the same college or university, or perhaps find a different one better suited to your needs or current location?

  • Are there different services you need as an adult that will help you be successful?

Transcript Requests

To transfer credits from colleges you previously attended into a new college, you will need to submit an official transcript. You can order official transcripts from the website of your previous college for a small fee.

How Credits Apply

Your credits from other colleges may apply to your general education or specific program requirements. Different colleges may accept different amounts of transfer credit. Work with your campus admissions office to explore the following:

  • Program options for your credits: Find out if your past credits can apply toward the requirements of the educational programs you are considering. Sometimes transferred credits can help you complete your credential more quickly.

  • Credits that don’t transfer: Some credits may be too old to transfer. Others may not be applicable to your current educational program.

Grade and Financial Aid Issues

If you are returning to a college you previously attended, you can work with an advisor to resolve any issues from your past attendance. If some of your grades were a problem the last time, find out if the college has a “grade amnesty” policy that takes past grades out of your grade point average (GPA).

Sometimes past grade issues or course withdrawals can create problems with financial aid for returning students (known as “Satisfactory Academic Progress” issues). Remember that for most policies, there is usually an appeals process where you can explain what happened and ask for a waiver or reconsideration. Advisors can help you with the appeals process.


  • Send your official transcripts from previous colleges for evaluation for possible transfer credits.

  • Work with your advisor to create an educational plan that includes all applicable past credits.

  • If you have been in the military, send the official transcript of your service for evaluation for possible academic credit. Ask the campus Veterans center or staff for help.

  • Turn in exam results if you have taken any standardized exams for college credit (CLEP, Advanced Placement, etc.).

Ask the Campus

  • How will my credits apply to my program requirements?

  • Is there a time limitation on the transfer of credits?

  • Is there a minimum grade needed for my past credits?

Related topics

Save to backpack

Save this article to your backpack for reference: